Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Monica's Diary Entry: "White People"

Before tonight I didn't know what a small group even was. It's a cutesy word for Bible study, apparently, but I guess it encompasses a little bit more. Like today we didn't just read the Bible at SFC, we hung out and we ate. There was even beer there, which, well I don't really know how I feel about that one. Nobody got tipsy and I didn't drink it or anything, but I didn't know Christians were so casual about it. The boys that drank were 21, at least I think they were. If Daddy found out....

It went pretty good though, except for one thing, and no, it was not the beer. First of all, I was the only black person there, which I kinda expected. Katie said the group is bigger during the Fall and hinted that it was way more diverse then, but um, I don't know how much. There was one Asian boy, an Asian girl, 2 white boys and Katie. They were all pretty cool except the one boy named Mike. The whole night he kept saying some pretty rude things that I think I'm just going to go ahead and say were just a little bit racist.

I mean we got along okay but I can tell he has some growing up to do. He's obviously the typical suburban jock type and really loud. I 'm sure as a white man from the suburbs you don't have to think about how you come across to other people who are different. 

First, he actually asked me, point blank in front of everybody, if my hair was real?! 

"I watched a movie that said most African-American women wear fake hair," he said.

Really?

I told him no, my hair is in fact natural and real. It's pretty obvious, but even if it wasn't, why would I put fake hair in my head that is this short!

It didn't end there. He asked me where I was from and I told him my family recently moved from Detroit to a smaller suburb. His response: "I've been to Detroit on a youth group trip. There's a lot of poverty and gangs. Is that why you moved?"

Finally, when Katie asked for prayer requests and praises he thanked God for bringing "different cultures" together and clenched his fist at me--like a black power kinda thing! He didn't even look at the Asians!! He's pretty ridiculous. I mean, I know he means well, but really? Between the beer and that...would Daddy approve?

Even with that, I think I will come back. Students For Christ looks like they are in the right direction. And it looks like they could use a little more flava.

xoxox


No comments:

Post a Comment