Friday, July 15, 2011

An email to Katie from Mom: "Christian Dating"

My dearest Katherine,

It is wonderful to hear that you are still doing well down there. Please try and stay safe, sweetest.

And what is it about this Mike fellow? hmmm? Is he your boyfriend or anything of that nature? I'm happy he's asked you out--you kids should be having fun--but, please, do be careful.

Too many girls your age are rushing into relationships with young boys, not focusing on your plans and priorities. While I know many of your friends are getting engaged and some married--many of them still in school--I don't want you to feel pressured  to rush into some kind of relationship with any old boy. It is rather delightful to see that you and your friends are keeping to your faith so fervently, but you really must keep a strong head as well.

Honestly dear, I see your cousins and your friends and how quickly they rush into their marriages. They date these boys not even a couple years before they make the commitment. I fear some of them are simply rushing into something that they think completes them and makes them feel whole. I don't know what you and this Mike fellow have planned, but I hope you two haven't already begun thinking about tying the knot! Don't laugh (I know you are) because many Christian girls your age are doing it! They come to church, to small group and yes even to SFC, thirsty for a man to complete them--much like the Samaritan woman at the well who had five husbands, to whom Jesus said,

"Whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life."

You, dear, have lots of time after you've graduated to explore a lifelong relationship with a young man like Mike. Don't get thirsty, dear. Don't be a woman at the well.

I know that as a young Christian girl, patiently saving her most precious gift for the God-fearing man of her dreams, you desire to get things moving as fast as possible because all your friends are moving on with their relationships. But, you, dear, must be just that--patient.Your day will come. And when it does you shall have a better understanding of who you are as God-fearing woman before getting to know someone else or making yourself vulnerable so that he may get to know you.

Dear, I am not lecturing you. I know you are an adult now and can make your own decisions, but please make sure they are indeed the right decisions and that this is a step that God wants of you--not just something you want. There is only one Man in your life who will fully complete you, make you feel whole and  forever quench your thirst.

Take care sweetest. Your father and I would like to meet this Mike someday, granted you choose to take this one date further.

Love,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment