Friday, July 1, 2011

An email from Katie: Subj: 'I went to a black church Today'

Hey Mom,

Today, I finally got the courage to visit the small Baptist church a few blocks from my apartment that I was telling you about. You know, the African-American one? The one where you can hear the pastor from across the street every Sunday afternoon? Well, the experience was, different. As soon as I walked into the doors, I stood out. Of course I was the only white girl in the room. Haha. Other than a few glances, no one seemed to care, however. Everything looks so much bigger in the inside. I sat in the back because they all seemed to know one another and I'm not sure if I'll be back soon. I'm pretty plugged in at CCC.

I do wish I'd known that everyone would be dressed so formally there. I mean, we all like to look nice for church on Sunday, but these people take it to a totally new level!! So many beautiful dresses and HUGE, colorful hats. It was like the Kentucky Derby, but without the horses, that is. Is this what church is like in the South? In Kentucky, maybe? I felt a bit embarrassed in my un-ironed khakis and my hair was a bit of a mess. I'm sure God didn't mind. It took theme a bit to get started, but once the choir began singing, mom, I could have sworn I was in heaven!

Why can't "we" sing like that? haha. :)

Anywayz, I hope that when you visit before school you can come to the church with me. I have a feeling you'd love it. How are things going with me other than church experimenting? Taking summer classes is tough, but not as time consuming as I had thought it would be. I am still hanging around SFC folks--the ones who stayed on campus this summer at least, but I'm hoping to burst that Christian Bubble soon. Our first small group starts today and guess what? I invited Monica, a girl from class who I met at the church! She seems really nice and I hope none of the SFC boys scare her away. I think she'd make a good fit in SFC. We could use a little more flavor!

Anyway, I'll talk to you later. Call me!

Take care,

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment